Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Handful of Beans

I have been thinking a lot lately about giving. Not the "I'll give you my old, worn-out clothes" giving, but the "I'll give me last shirt"" kind of giving.

Let me explain.

The first fall I was employed at San Miguel Elementary, we had the fall food drive that every school in the country holds.  Every day students would add their can of pumpkin, soup, green beans, etc. the growing collection piling up by the office.

But one thing was different.

Every day when the principal would look at the new offerings he would see a plastic sandwich bag with a handful of dried pinto beans.  Every day.  Bag of beans. It never changed.  It was a mystery.

But my principal was a born investigator.  He laid in wait to see who was bring this plastic sandwich bag of pinto beans to the food drive. 

And he couldn't believe what he saw.

The child bringing the plastic sandwich bag every day belonged to one of the families for which we were collecting the food.

"If just a cup of water I place within your hand, then just a cup of water is all that I demand."  Follow Me by Ira F. Stamphill

No comments:

Post a Comment