Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Squash

For the two or four or seven of you out there who actually read my blog (Hi, Mom!), you may have wondered where I've been for the last few days.  Well, it turns out that retiring and packing out 19 years of teacher stuff is just a tad bit labor intensive. So my little blog suffered, but I am now officially retired and have two bedrooms full of teaching materials to go through.

(Caution, major topic change ahead. Warning.)

So, I was perusing my little garden.  (You remember my garden.  It has 5 strawberry plants, 2 squash plants, 2 tomato plants, and a partridge in a pear tree.) And look what I found!

Oh Yeah!  My first squash.  In fact, there are TWO of them.  So I picked them.
I brought them in the kitchen with the intent of frying them up and eating them.  But there is the problem of my cholesterol.  I am a memaw and I have to start thinking about my arteries. Yep, getting old is not fun. But I do love my fried squash.  So I knew I would have to skip the heavy batter and Crisco.

(Next, I'll so be ordering a HoverRound and sitting on the front porch complaining how the young'uns are just getting worse by the day.)
So I sliced that  bad boy.

Slapped a little stone ground, all natural corn meal on them (thinking about my arteries).

Fried them up in heart friendly peanut oil (arteries once again).

And yum yum.

I ate every one.  It was a little slice of heaven. Or squash.

Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment