Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, April 14, 2011

And Now For a Political Message

I really don't dabble much in national politics.  I do vote for president and my representatives.  I keep sort of a unfocused eye on what that guys in DC are doing but usually only as far as it impacts me or mine personally. But in my casual internet browsing,  I came across something that gives me great pause.

In the recently agreed upon budget, there were many cuts.  And I am totally in favor of cuts.  Danny and I can only spend as much as we make and the government has the same responsibility.  However, in this time of fiscal accountability we cannot sacrifice the defenseless for tax cuts for those with more resources.

I am talking about the proposed cut of $504 million to WIC (Women, Infants, and Children).

For those of you who don't know what WIC does, it provides free, healthy food for pregnant women and children under the age of five.  The checks provided cannot be used for junk food.  The approved list includes such things wheat bread, brown rice, juice, peanut butter, eggs, and milk.  The closest thing I could find to a junk food was Kix cereal.

So we are going to cut a program that works.  A program that provides food for the weakest and most defenseless members of our society, pregnant women and small children, while continuing to allow tax cuts for others.

It makes me hang my head in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment