Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Good and the Bad

So I weighed in today at Weight Watchers and I lost 3.2 pounds.

Can I get a Hallelujah!

But on the running front I am having some difficulty.  I was attempting to run 5 miles yesterday but at the 4 mile mark I hit a wall.

(A metaphorical wall.  Not a literal wall.  That would have entailed a trip to the ER to patch me up.)
Kinda glad it wasn't this wall!


At the 4 mile mark I ran out of gas.  I got dizzy, nauseated, and had vision problems.  Since I am diabetic and I had went straight from teaching preschool to running without lunch, I assumed I was having a hypoglycemic episode.  For those of you not familiar with diabetic terminology, that means that I thought my blood sugar was dropping.  Since I am never prepared enough to have glucose tablets  with me, I stopped running and walked to my car and drove home.

When I got home I checked my glucose levels and, surprise, my levels were not low but high.  So what did I do?  I checked with Dr. Google (in other words, the Internet).  And I found out that while exercise in general will lower glucose levels in diabetics, strenuous exercise has exactly the opposite effect.  Without getting all medical and technical, basically your body has to work harder and glucose is released in the system, your levels go up, and if you are running you can hit a wall!

What to do according to Dr. Google?  Stop the exercise.  Not an option for me.

So now it looks like I am going to have to find an endocrinologist who will help an over 55 memaw diabetic wannabe athlete who wants to run.  
Maybe this Doc would understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment