Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Strawberry Fields Forever

Now if you are still awake after yesterday's post, I will continue with the non-stop, roller coaster, excitement filled weekend of Danny and I.

With.....

The planting of a tub of strawberries!  I know, I know.  You are a-tremble with excitement.

But let's begin at the beginning.  This whole project started because the weather got warm (around 70) and I went out into the backyard to sweep and clean and such.  I found our old wash tub that I had purchased when Baby Susan was, well, a baby.  We let her swim in it and play in it.  Baby Susan is now 33 years old and has children of her own.  She won't be swimming or playing in the wash tub anytime soon so I decided to plant strawberries in it and make a very attractive planter for my patio.

 So we started with a trip to Home Depot for strawberry plants and potting soil.

I know, I know.  Those two tall plants are strawberry plants but while I was there the patio tomato plants were calling my name.  "Pam, Pam".  They are seductive little buggers.

Then the next morning we loaded it all in our heavy duty PLASTIC wheelbarrow (hey, it was cheap) and took it all to the backyard.
Where we put a layer of broken bricks (worried about drainage) in the bottom of the wash tub followed by sand. Here is Danny loading up on some of the abundant sand we have around out place.
Here is a shot of Danny tamping down the sand on top of the bricks.

 Then the potting soil and I started placing the strawberries plants in the wash tub.
And the finished product, complete with two patio tomatoes.
And who is that rather photogenic character right in front?  Let's go in for a closer look.
Why, it's Terry Turtle working a particularly fierce pose.  Work it Terry!

UPDATE-The weather took a turn for the worse on Sunday and Danny had to lug the patio tomatoes inside the house.  And he didn't once say I told you so about putting my plants outside. Ahhh...that's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment